Friday, November 23, 2007

Augusta's Injury of the Week




My bruised and swollen foot.


My foot in the bandage/wrap/sock thing.


I'm working part-time now in the afternoons during the kids' nap time at Central Texas College on the Navy base. It's something I'm just doing temporarily, though the end of the year.

The other day I was at work and they were doing construction in the area around our office. Part of the brick sidewalk had caved in about 6 inches or so, leaving a little depression there. I was walking along and was distracted by one of the stray cats that runs around that area. Of course I stepped directly into the hole and my foot slid out of my heeled sandal, twising my ankle. The side of my foot hit the bricks in the bottom of the hole with pretty much most of my weight on it. I felt a popping sensation and then it started to hurt.

However, the pain wasn't so bad that I couldn't still walk on it just fine. I could still move everything and I just assumed that I had bumped it pretty bad. Immediately, a bruise popped up and a dull ache started.

When Shawn met me after work later that evening, I said to him somewhat jokingly, "I think there is a small chance that I broke my foot today." He of course rolled his eyes because he knows of my tendency to be a wee bit dramatic at times, especially when it involves an injury/pain.

Later that evening, my foot was still okay. I could walk on it, but it had started to hurt a little bit more. I decided it would be a good idea just to have it x-rayed. We went to a nearby hospital, but they said they could not x-ray it because I was pregnant. We went back home and I figured it would probably feel better in the morning.

Around 5:30 AM Wednesday morning, my foot was hurting enough that I woke up and could not fall back asleep. Later in the morning, I told Shawn it was still bothering me, so he when he went on base to get some groceries, he tried to make an appointment for me at the Navy medical facility. There was a doctor there that we knew from our EMT clinicals. He said that I could have an x-ray while pregnant, but that their x-ray machine was down.

Shawn came and took me back to the hospital from before and the doctor called radiology. They put three lead aprons on me and then took a couple of x-rays. An orthopedic surgeon guy came and looked at the x-rays and told me that I had a small fracture on my fifth metatarsal.

Yes, I broke my foot! I couldn't believe it! Shawn said, "You been walking long?"

So now I have my foot in this soft, supported brace thing for 3-6 weeks! GREAAAAAAAT.

To add insult to injury, because I was technically at work when this happened, I have to fill out paperwork for an accident report with both the Navy College and Central Texas College.

No comments: