Sunday, July 15, 2007

Play Group

Wednesday night Shawn was playing in a volleyball game, so I thought I'd bring the kids to go watch him play. I pulled into the parking lot on the Base and dragged the stroller out of the trunk. As I did this, a woman driving by in an SUV stopped rather abruptly and rolled down her window to speak to me. She asked, "Did you just get here?" I thought maybe she meant parking-wise and wanted my spot. She meant here as in Bahrain and told me about a playgroup she and some of the other moms from the Base participate in. She gave me her contact information and I decided that it was something I was definitely interested in doing with the kids. The reason she thought I must have been new to the country was because I had the airline check tag still attached to my stroller (oops!) from our trip home in April!

We have a pretty hermit-like existence aside from the usual shopping trips to the grocery store, Shawn's sporting events and an occasional weekend outing. Things get worse during the summer because it's so hot the kids can't even really go outside to play any. So I thought the playgroup would probably greatly benefit us.

When I spoke to the playgroup organizer, she said that this particular playgroup a lot of the dads would be coming, too, so Shawn decided he would check it out. The group was hosted this week by a very nice couple who is from Poland originally. They have lived in Bahrain for over a decade each and have an adorable little girl. There was another Polish couple there who had a 2 year old boy and a baby girl with the exact same birthdate as Quinn--December 8, 2006. Needless to say, we compared notes. There were several other couples, mostly Americans. In total there were something like 8 kids all running around everywhere. Everyone was very nice and the kids all got along surprisingly well. Shawn and I had a nice time and I think it is something I will continue to do in the future. That was my big excitement for the week!

Augusta "SuperMom" Cherri

No comments: