Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lulu Update

So last night was the first time we tried the deer meat we got from Lulu. I made sloppy joes for dinner with some of the ground venison. It's strange how the mind works because the meat tasted just like ground beef. There were a few bites that were just a teensy bit chewier than regular ground beef, but if I hadn't known it was deer meat, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I've always had my meat show up in a grocery store meat case, thankfully without knowing a single detail about its origin. I know intellectually it's cow meat and that some cow was raised, killed, butchered, packaged and sent to the grocery store. But I have no intimate knowledge of that process.

Last night Shawn told Kai in regards to our dinner, "See, son, this was out running around in the woods on Friday!" For some reason, my stomach turned and I about lost it! I was like....."Um, maybe we should only talk about that directly when we're NOT eating it?" He thought my reaction was pretty funny.

All in all, I'm very thankful for the deer meat, but it will take a while to get my head wrapped around having actually seen all the steps (except the shooting part) in this meat's travels. Yuck.

No comments: