Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Toddlerese

I wrote in a previous post that I want to learn another language before I die. Well, I realized that I am actually quite fluent in another language already--Toddlerese!

Somehow I can take a series of grunts, hand gestures and garbled consonants and hear very clearly, "I would like more Cheerios, Mommy!"

Lately Kai's language abilities have really taken off. He is starting to speak mostly in sentences and his words are becoming much clearer. Shawn is also becoming proficient at this new language, though he still relies on my fluency from time to time to translate more complex combinations.

It has made everyday living much easier, as Kai can now express what he wants, likes, dislikes or needs. Other things are also changing because of this language explosion.

Here's something that happened this morning:

As I was getting things ready to make breakfast (in accordance with my Mom Diet), I sliced a small pat of butter and set it aside on a butter wrapper. I went across the kitchen to the countertops and continued making preparations, turning my back to Kai. After about a minute or two, I turned back to find the pat of butter missing in action. I looked in Kai's hands, all around on the table and floor, but I could not find the butter pat.

So, I asked Kai where the pat of butter was. He said, "Butter went on the floor. My spit it out." I turned around to see a partially chewed piece of butter on the floor. Mystery solved.

Here's what would have happened before Kai started talking so much:

I would have looked all over for the missing butter pat and then would have started to question my sanity. My internal monologue would have been something like this--"I know it was there before, right? I mean, I remember putting the butter there. Or was it just a figment of my imagination? Am I getting today confused with yesterday? How could it have just disappeared? Did I already use it and not remember? I must be losing my mind!"

Later, after making breakfast, I would have gone back to the countertop to put breakfast on our plates. I would have stepped in the missing butter pat and then a new line of thinking would emerge--"How did that get here? Did I drop it? Did it somehow transfer on my clothes??? How could that possibly have happened??" The mystery would never have been solved and I'd have butter on my foot!

Hooray for my newfound Toddlerese abilities! It helps solve so many of life's little mysteries.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

Dude it is awesome, and you can even use it as a distraction, "Kai, can you find mommy's phone?", and you cram cookies in your mouth while he isn't looking.

It's great with a baby because if Luke is crying I can ask Elle what happened "He bump head" "He hurt" "He wants cookies" "He dude it" "He wants bath" "Luke mad" "Luke wants to go" "Luke smells" "Why weren't you being a responsible mother, I am only two, you can't expect me to babysit all the time"