Saturday, February 9, 2008

Boy or Girl?

So....

Today was our second ultrasound this pregnancy. I had one around 13 weeks to confirm the dates because I was measuring pretty large. It turns out there is definitely only one baby and I just measure large (I have each pregnancy)! It was too early at that one to find out the gender, so we scheduled one for this week, sure that we would be able to definitively find out.

With Kai, I had an ultrasound at 15 weeks and it was pretty clear he was a boy. Quinn's ultrasound was around 17-18 weeks and it was pretty clear she was a girl. With Kai's pregnancy, I "knew" he was a boy even before the ultrasound. With Quinn, I had a decently strong sense she was a girl before the ultrasound, but wasn't quite as sure as I had been as with Kai.

This pregnancy, I have had a really strong sense that this one is a boy. We've already been calling the baby the boy name we've chosen. I was sure it was going to be a boy.

BUT today......

We had our second ultrasound and the sonographer (a radiologist, not an ultrasound tech) did a full level 2 ultrasound. Everything looked really good and healthy and my dates are still spot on--I'm about 17 weeks tomorrow, making my due date what I originally estimated. I expect to be due around July 15-20th.

She said it was probably still too early to be sure about gender--I was immediately disappointed because I just figured that we'd be sure to see. The baby was in an okay position, but she scanned over the pertinent parts pretty quickly, only lingering there a few seconds. In that few seconds, this is what I saw---a smooth area with a slight bumpy part above it. It LOOKED to me like a girl with part of the umbilical cord down there between her legs up higher (about mid-thigh). Shawn feels like he saw a weiner, but I think he was just seeing that cord part.

The radiologist said it is "most likely a girl, but might be too soon to tell for sure."

SO......

Was my intuition completely wrong? Have we been calling this poor girl "Asher Matthew" for two months now? We aren't even MOSTLY sure that it's a girl--everybody else in our family has been "sensing" boy, too.

When we came home, I lay down and took a nap. During that nap, I had a dream they did another ultrasound. In the ultrasound, they showed the same image--a smooth area with a bumpy part up higher. At first in the dream I thought I saw "boy parts," but the dream ultrasound tech moved in closer and I saw very clearly "girl parts." So in the dream I was certain it was a girl.

Was the dream a clarifying prophecy or something? Or was it just mirroring my own feelings?

Isn't technology wonderful?

No comments: