Monday, May 10, 2010

Casa G

We've been having lots of fun here in Ecuador, spending time with family and occasionally doing some touristy type things. Some of you may not know about Shawn's family history in Ecuador, but many of you do. Shawn's grandparents were medical missionaries in Ecuador for more than 30 years. That means that Shawn's mother spent a lot of her growing up time here. Since the beginning of Shawn's grandparents' mission here in Ecuador, others in the family have felt called here, including Shawn's Uncle Phil and Aunt Debbie.

Phil and Debbie have been our guides and support since we have been here and it has been wonderful to spend some time with them. They spend a lot of their time working in a ministry for former street boys. The goal of their work is to help train up these boys to be leaders in their own communities, not just to provide them with their needs of food and shelter (though they obviously do that as well).

Since we have been here, we have been able to see into the work they are doing firsthand. The house is called Casa Gabriel, and they lovingly call it Casa G. Right now there are about 10 boys who live there full time, ranging in ages from 15-24. Shawn and I have been doing some things around the house. Shawn has been redoing the stairs there, and I organized their clothing donation room. It has been a wonderful experience for us.

The boys have been very welcoming and grateful to us and our children. It is amazing to me to see the work that God has obviously done in their lives. Seeing the transformative power that something like this particular style of ministry has is awesome.

I freely admit that I am a bit of a cynical person. Consequently, I wasn't sure what I would find when I arrived here. How much can a ministry project like this really do? I've come to realize that the combination of meeting people's spiritual, social and physical needs is truly making such a difference in the lives of the boys at Casa G.

The boys have treated us like family, and thanked us numerous times for the little things we've been able to do and give while we've been here. It really does feel like I've received 10 new brothers. I've been hearing stories of all the things the boys have been trying to do to minister to other people of their own free will and initiative. It is very humbling.

Within just a few days of meeting the boys and beginning to spend time with them, I felt something moving in my soul over this ministry. Shawn and I started talking about the possibility of staying longer term. We're not sure yet what God has in store, but I'm sure He will make that plain to us in the coming weeks.

No comments: